The Collaborative International Dictionary
Carus \Ca"rus\ (k[=a]"r[u^]s), n. [NL., fr. Gr. ka`ros.] (Med.) Coma with complete insensibility; deep lethargy.
n. (context medicine English) coma with complete insensibility; deep lethargy
Carus (; c. 222 – July or August 283) was Roman Emperor from 282 to 283, and was 60 at ascension. During his short reign, Carus fought the Germanic tribes and Sarmatians along the Danube frontier with success. He brought stability in the empire and died in 283 aged 61.
During his campaign against the Sassanid Empire, he sacked their capital Ctesiphon, but died shortly thereafter. He was succeeded by his sons Carinus and Numerian, creating a dynasty which, though short-lived, granted further stability to a resurgent empire.
Carus as a surname may refer to:
- Carl Gustav Carus (1789-1869), German physiologist and painter
- Emma Carus (1879-1927), American contralto singer
- Julius Victor Carus (1823-1903), German zoologist and entomologist
- Marcus Aurelius Carus (c. 224-283), Roman emperor
- Paul Carus (1852-1919), German-American author, editor and philosopher
- Titus Lucretius Carus (c. 99 BC- c. 55 BC), Roman poet and philosopher
Carus may also refer to:
- Carus and The True Believers, Australian band
- Carus Mathematical Monographs, book series published by the Mathematical Association of America
- Carus Lectures, lecture series convened by the American Philosophical Association
- Carus, Oregon, an unincorporated community in the United States
- Carus Publishing Company, American publishing company
- Carus-Verlag, German choral music publisher and record label
- Hegeler Carus Mansion, historic building in La Salle, Illinois, United States
Usage examples of "carus".
Carus Fraxinus and Aulakh Phar have already chided me for missing a valuable opportunity, and they were right.
Nor had any message come from Carus Fraxinus by the time night fell on the eve of the Day of Thanksgiving.
Jacom, who saw in this affair a golden opportunity to put the seal on his reputation, and perhaps to increase his standing in the eyes of Carus Fraxinus too.
He remembered that Lucrezia had mentioned the name of Carus Fraxinus in connection with that of Hyry Keshvara and the expedition to find the source of the seed which she had planned to feed to the amber .
She had, of course, protested vociferously that she was an honest merchant, very well known in the city, authorised to act as an agent for no less a man than Carus Fraxinus, but the soldiers had been adamant.
Reputations are a funny thing, he thought with Carus Fraxinus in mind rather than soldiers.
Both parties were on the move when they met, travelling in diametrically opposite directions, but the dark landers were ready enough to stop and talk and Hyry Keshvara was still enthusiastic to find guides willing to escort the princess and herself to the ford where she hoped to meet Carus Fraxinus and his party.
Carus Fraxinus had made no objection when Jacom told him of his intention to tag along until they met up with Hyry Keshvara -indeed, he had confessed himself pleased to have his numbers augmented by ten good fighting men.
Sometimes Jacom got the same information, later, from Carus Fraxinus but when he received contradictory accounts he had not the slightest idea which to favour.
Lucrezia said, hoping that it might be true although she was uncomfortably aware of the fact that she could not be certain of a warm welcome from Carus Fraxinus and Aulakh Phar now that Hyry was not with her.
He quelled the impulse, reminding himself he was not in a position to give orders here, and that he ought not to annoy Carus Fraxinus by overstepping his allotted mark.
Carus Fraxinus told him, as he settled himself into an uncomfortably narrow niche.
It sounded like the kind of word that Aulakh Phar might know, or Carus Fraxinus, but to Hyry it meant nothing at all.
Carus Fraxinus was quick to get the column under way again, but no one was surprised when the warriors began to move with it, matching its pace.
Carus Fraxinus and Aulakh Phar to help to find a home for the nest, and I will but it is you who are in no position to make bargains.