Housing Units (2000): 29003
Land area (2000): 1633.088804 sq. miles (4229.680404 sq. km)
Water area (2000): 34.950499 sq. miles (90.521374 sq. km)
Total area (2000): 1668.039303 sq. miles (4320.201778 sq. km)
Located within: North Dakota (ND), FIPS 38
Location: 46.890682 N, 100.641038 W
Burleigh County, ND
Burleigh may refer to:
Burleigh, or Burleigh Manor, is a historic home located at Ellicott City, Howard County, Maryland, built on a estate. It is a Federal-style brick dwelling built about 1810, laid in Flemish bond. Also on the landscaped grounds are a stone smokehouse; a much-altered log, stone, and frame "gatehouse" or "cottage," and another log outbuilding, as well as an early-20th century bathhouse, swimming pool, and tennis court. The probable builder was Colonel Rezin Hammond (1745–1809), who bequeathed the manor and to his grandnephew Denton Hammond (1785–1813) and his wife Sara who lived there until her death in 1832. In 1914 the estate was owned by Mary Hanson Hammond with land totaling over including the outbuildings and slave quarters. In 1935 the Estate was subdivided to and purchased by Charles McAlpin Pyle, Grandson of industrialist David Hunter McAlpin. It is currently operated as a livestock shelter. In the late 1960s the property was owned by Mrs G. Dudley Iverson IV.
Centennial Lane was built in 1876 as a shortcut through Burliegh Manor property between Clarksville and Ellicott City.
In November 1976 the county executive, Edward L. Cochran, commissioned a $35,000 survey by Resource Management Associates Inc. to analyze of the manor property for a landfill site at a set contract price of $2,250,000, but a task force recommendation led to a site selection in Marriottsville. In 1979 A historical survey was conducted, listing the owner as Maple Lawn developer Stewart J Greenbaum. In 1982 Burleigh was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1987, the wife of former County Executive Cochran listed Burleigh Manor and 15 surrounding acres for sale for $750,000.
Burleigh, also known as the McGehee-Phifer Plantation, is a historic plantation house located near Concord, Person County, North Carolina. It was built between about 1800 and 1820, and is a 2 1/2-story, vernacular Late Georgian central hall plan symmetrical frame dwelling. The front and facades features Greek Revival style, one-story, temple front porticoes with Doric order columns. The interior has Late Federal and Greek Revival style design elements.
The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Usage examples of "burleigh".
In 1575 we find the Earl of Shrewsbury presenting to his friend Lord Burleigh "a case of Hallamshire whittells, being such fruites as his pore cuntrey affordeth with fame throughout the realme.
Burleigh, Nevinson, Battersby, Stuart, Amery, Atkins, Baillie, Kinneir, Churchill, James, Ralph, Barnes, Maxwell, Pearce, Hamilton, and others.
The sort of horseboxes she would have been driving had home-from-home large living quarters in front of the stalls, the nomadic luxury motors for eventing at Badminton and Burleigh.
For the rest of the day, they rolled down the handicapped ramps and wide concrete steps of an abandoned construction site located on Burleigh, a short bus ride away.