BMJ (previously BMJ Group, rebranded in 2013), is a global healthcare knowledge provider of journals, clinical decision support, medical education and intelligent software tools. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association. Established in 1840 with the publication of the Provincial Medical and Surgical Journal (later the first edition of the British Medical Journal), it is now a fully commercial organisation with about 550 staff and offices based in 7 locations around the world including North America, South America, Europe, India and China.
BMJ’s mission statement is:
"BMJ advances healthcare worldwide by sharing knowledge and expertise to improve experiences, outcomes and value." Its vision is to create a healthier world.
BMJ is a global academic publisher providing a wide range of evidence-based medicine products in print, online and at events, to healthcare professionals and institutional clients: academic institutions, governments and Ministries of Health, healthcare providers and medical societies. It offers the medical community a comprehensive information support system that improves patient outcomes and the decisions people make every day. The company also offers many other products for clinicians, such as BMJ Careers and BMJ Learning.
BMJ's products and services also extend to offer rights and licensing, and targeted advertising and sponsorship opportunities for pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, recruiters, and the general medical community.
The BMJ is a medical journal, formerly known as the British Medical Journal
Related uses include:
- BMJ Group, which publishes The BMJ
- BMJ Open, open access journal
- Student BMJ, student journal
BMJ may also refer to:
- The German Federal Ministry of Justice (Bundesministerium der Justiz), now the Federal Ministry of Justice and Consumer Protection
- Bote-Darai language (ISO 639:bmj)
- Baramita Airport in Baramita, Guyana (IATA airport code BMJ)
- Bemidji Airlines (ICAO airline code BMJ)
- Barbican Mission to the Jews, organisation which became Christian Witness to Israel