Bandava - and old Curonian land which existed in the territory of the Latvia during the late iron age until it was conquered and divided in 1253 by Bishopric of Courland and Livonian Order.
It is first mentioned in the biography of Bishop Ansgar ("Vita Anskarii") written by Bishop Rimbert of Bremen (lived before 888 AD). It is also mentioned in the January 17, 1231 treaty between the Baldwin von Alna and Curonians.
In the April 4, 1253 treaty it was split between Bishop of Courland and Order of Livonia.
The country was located between Ventava, Ceklis, Piemare, Duvzare and the Baltic Sea on the present territory of Ventspils district and Kuldīga district in Latvia with the administrative center near the modern-day Kuldīga.
It included some of the following villages (villae): Valtaiķi, Sermīte, Vepele, Lipaiķi, Libiņi, Skrunda, Jērnieki, Turlava, Alsunga, Arsene, Asene, Ursuļi, Urāle, Ardone, Pakare, Nikte, Šķēde, Snēpele, Vilgale, Kormale, Ķimale, Īvande, Tigve, Karitanke, Velži and Manestute