Crossword clues for babi
Babi, also Baba,
in ancient Egypt, was the deification of the baboon, one of the animals present in Egypt. His name is usually translated as "bull of the baboons", and roughly means " alpha male of all baboons", i.e. chief of the baboons. Since baboons exhibit many human characteristics, it was believed in early times, at least since the Predynastic Period, that they were deceased ancestors. In particular, the alpha males were identified as deceased rulers, referred to as the great white one (Hez-ur in Egyptian), since hamadryas baboon (the species prevalent in Egypt) alpha males have a notable light grey streak. For example, Narmer is depicted in some images as having transformed into a baboon.
Since baboons were considered to be the dead, Babi was viewed as an underworld deity. Baboons are extremely aggressive, and omnivorous, and so Babi was viewed as being very bloodthirsty, and living on entrails. Consequently, he was viewed as devouring the souls of the unrighteous after they had been weighed against Ma'at (the concept of truth/order), and was thus said to stand by a lake of fire, representing destruction. Since this judging of righteousness was an important part of the underworld, Babi was said to be the first-born son of Osiris, the god of the dead in the same regions in which people believed in Babi.
Baboons also have noticeably high sex drives, in addition to their high level of genital marking, and so Babi was considered the god of virility of the dead. He was usually portrayed with an erection, and due to the association with the judging of souls, was sometimes depicted as using it as the mast of the ferry which conveyed the righteous to Aaru, a series of islands. Babi was also prayed to, in order to ensure that an individual would not suffer from impotence after death.
Babi may refer to:
- Babı, a municipality in Azerbaijan
- Babi Dynasty, founded in 1735 by Muhammed Sher Khan Babi (r.1748-1758), Nawabs of this dynasty went on to rule over Junagadh in Gujarat, from the 18th to the 20th century.
- Babi (title), in various Indian titles
- Babi is a nickname for the Greek name Charalampos (Χαράλαμπος)
- Babi (mythology), a baboon god in Egyptian mythology
- A Bábí is a follower of the Báb, a religious leader from Persia
- Pig, Babi in Malay, Indonesian, and Kampangan
- BABI is also a Mobile Suit name in anime Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. Codename: AMA-953 BABI
- Basalt Achondrite Best Initial (BABI) is an acronym used in the Geosciences; Basalt Achondrite Best Initial.
- Lord Babi, from the Golden Sun video game series.
- Bhabhi in Gujarati is sister-in-law
- Babi Island (disambiguation), several islands of this name in south east Asia
- FK Babi, a football club in the Republic of Macedonia
Babi can be a surname:
- Parveen Babi, Indian actress
Babi can also be a nickname:
- Babi Xavier (born 1974), Brazilian actress, model and TV hostess
Babi enters in various Indian titles. It has its origin as quoted 'Bahadur Khanji Babi, son of Usman Khan, a native of Afghanistan, who migrated to India and entered the Mughal service and received the hereditary title of Babi (confidential) in 1554 from Emperor Humayun, for services against the Rana of Chittor'.
- Khan Sahib Shri Babi: the title of the ruler of the Indian princely state of Bantva-Manavadar state (founded in 1760) which in September 1947 acceded to Pakistan, but on 15 February 1948 rescinded accession to Pakistan, to accede to India; the dynasty is called Babi.
- Nawab Babi: the title of the ruler of the Indian princely state of Balasinor; the dynasty is called Babi Dynasty
Usage examples of "babi".
Since there is no danger that any of my present readers have heard of Report on Probability A, I might as well say that one of my themes was a paralysis of time, which I pretended to detect and find exemplified in the anecdotalism of this canvas, and similar Victorian paintings.
I probably haven’t had Q’babi juice in ages, and I don’t think it would set well with my stomach just now.
Her body, the flesh built on O Babi Babi will the children remember me their mother like to fine Asiatic bones, was an oasis compared with the deserts of starved bodies outside, the famine-clad mothers who walked a hundred miles to find water for their children.
Especially he hated to see cadaverous women bringing forth babies and nestling them to dry dugs.
That novel of mine, Report on Probability A, the one that didn't cause such a fuss, centred round Hunt's best painting, The Hireling Shepherd.
The implications were as Erewlo had said: with a probability that approached one, those were artificial radio signals coming from Tosev 3.
But if he'd sat down with the little plastic dodecahedrons a few times, he would have understood with his gut rather than just with his head the difference between a small probability and zero probability.
Every time he tried to laugh off what the Jew said as just another atrocity story, he kept remembering the scar on the side of Max's neck and the Jewish partisan's obscenely embellished tale of slaughter and horror at Babi Yar.
But one of the Jews in the partisan band came back alive from a place called Babi Yar, outside Kiev.
Fiore answered, "and they can feed babies, too, once the babies start eating real food.
She wished for a cigarette, she'd had a pack of Babies in her pocket, but they were soaked now.
But if he'd sat down with the little plastic dodecahedrons a few times, he would have understood with his gut rather than just with his brain the difference between a small probability and zero probability.
Now Tessrek sounded as if Bobby had admitted humans picked their noses and fed babies on boogers, or else like a fastidious clubwoman who for some reason had to talk about syphilis.
Fiore-answered, "and they can feed babies, too, once the babies start eating real food.
Every time he tried to laugh off what the Jew said as just another atrocity story, he kept remembering the scar on the side of Max’s neck and the Jewish partisan’s obscenely embellished tale of slaughter and horror at Babi Yar.