Asda Stores Limited is a British supermarket retailer, headquartered in Leeds, West Yorkshire. The company became a subsidiary of the American retail corporate giant Walmart after a £6.7 billion takeover in July 1999, and was the second-largest supermarket chain in Britain between 2003 and 2014, by market share.
Besides its core supermarket retail format, the company also offers a number of other products, including financial services and a mobile phone company using the existing network of EE. Asda's marketing promotions are usually based solely on price, and like its parent company, Walmart, Asda promotes itself under the slogan "Save Money. Live Better".
As a wholly owned division of Walmart, Asda is not required to declare quarterly or half-yearly earnings, but it submits full accounts to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission each November. And, even though Asda is a subsiduary of Walmart. It is has more autonomy than any of the other supermarket chains within the Walmart International division. It has retained its own British management team and board since the 1999 takeover.
Asda is a supermarket chain.
ASDA or Asda may also refer to:
- Asda Story, massively multiplayer online role-playing game
- Asda Jayanama (born 1941), Thai diplomat
- Accelerate Stop Distance Available (ASDA) in runway declared distances and take-off performance calculations
- American Sleep Disorders Association
- American Stamp Dealers Association, based at Glen Cove, New York
- American Student Dental Association
- Asbestos and Danville Railway, Reporting markASDA
- Australian Soft Drinks Association (ASDA), former name of the Australian Beverages Council
- Australian Screen Directors Association
- Australian Sports Drug Agency
- Party of Democratic Activity, a Bosnian political party abbreviated as ASDA.