Appin is a remote coastal district of the Scottish West Highlands bounded to the west by Loch Linnhe, to the south by Loch Creran, to the east by the districts of Benderloch and Lorne, and to the north by Loch Leven. It lies north-east to south-west, and measures in length by in breadth.
The district is mainly in Argyll and Bute, with a coastal strip to the north, along Loch Leven, within the Highland council area.
The scenery of the district is a combination of seascapes with rugged and mountainous country inland. Appin forms part of the Lynn of Lorn National Scenic Area, one of 40 in Scotland. The principal hills are double peaks of Beinn a' Bheithir - and - and Creag Ghorm - - in the north, and Fraochaidh , Meall Bàn and Beinn Mhic na Céisich near the western flank of Glen Creran. The chief rivers are the Coe and Laroch, flowing into Loch Leven, the Duror and Salachan flowing into Loch Linnhe, and the Iola and Creran flowing into Loch Creran.
The leading industries are forestry and tourism, with lead mining and slate quarrying being of former importance, but the Glensanda superquarry, in Morvern on the opposite bank of Loch Linnhe also provides local employment. Ballachulish, Duror, Portnacroish, Appin Village and Port Appin are the principal villages.
Appin was the country of a branch of the Stewarts.
The A828 road runs along the coast of Appin. A passenger-only ferry to the island of Lismore runs from Port Appin. The district formerly had a railway, but the Caledonian Railway company’s branch line from Connel to Ballachulish was closed in 1966.
Appin is where the Appin Murder took place in 1752.
Appin may refer to:
- Appin, a coastal district of the Scottish Highlands
or it may refer to:in Australia
- Appin, New South Wales
- Appin, Ontario
- Appin (Bennettsville, South Carolina), listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in South Carolina
Appin near Bennettsville, South Carolina dates from 1875. The boundaries of the listed property were increased to include more, perhaps outbuildings or secondary structures, dating from 1870, in 2007 It is a two-story farmhouse associated with its second owner, Charles Spencer McCall. He was a veteran of the Civil War, a local business man, mayor of Bennettsville, and member of the South Carolina Senate.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.