n. (alternative form of abate nodot=1 English) (qualifier: abbot).(R:SOED5: page=3)
Abbate is an Italian surname. Notable people with the surname include:
- Anthony Abbate, American former Chicago police officer and criminal
- Federica Abbate (born 1991), Italian songwriter
- Jon Abbate (born 1985), American football player
- Lirio Abbate (born 1971), Italian journalist
- Mario Abbate (1927-1981), Italian singer
- Matteo Abbate (born 1983), Italian footballer
- Peter Abbate (born 1949), American politician
- Carolyn Abbate, American musicologist
Usage examples of "abbate".
When he entered the hall of the Perropont, he found that he and all his suite were surrounded by armed men, who led him into another apartment, called the Vicar's Hall, where he found the Abbate Alviano, the protonotary Orsino, Jacopo Santa Croce, and Rinaldo Orsino, who were all prisoners like himself.
In his second reign, when he is painted almost as a monster, Rienzi travea una ventresca tonna trionfale, a modo de uno Abbate Asiano, or Asinino, (l.