From September 2006, it became possible to register domain names directly under .kr (although this is currently only possible for internationalized domain names). Trademark holders and public bodies benefited from an "early registration period", after which the owners of .kr third-level domains had priority to get the corresponding second-level domains.
1. Sunrise I (September 18–November 20, 2006)
- Governmental Bodies only
2. Sunrise II (November 21–February 27, 2007)
- A holder of 3rd level .kr domain
- The registered 3rd level domain and the 3rd level domain should be registered before March 13, 2006
- The full name of registered trademark using same alphabetical order
3. Landrush (March 28–April 11, 2007)
- Anyone or any business entity who has an address in the territory
4.General Registration (from April 19. 2007)
- First-come first-served basis
In 2011 a new top-level domain was registered for South Korea, intended for domain names in the local language. The top-level domain is Domain names and working sites became active during 2011.