The Varvakeio Experimental Gymnasium is a public Greek junior high school located in Psychiko. It was founded by Ioannis Varvakis, who donated a big part of his fortune to the state, in order to build a public, fee-less high school. The realization of Varvakis' dream came true after his death as the building was opened in 1860, initially across from the present day central market. Badly damaged in the civil war, the original building was demolished in 1955; the school moved several times before settling on its current location in Psychiko in 1983. Originally all-male, school went coed in 1979.
Notable alumni include Alexandros Papadiamantis, Evangelos Averoff, Fredy Germanos, Georgios Drosinis, Alexandros Papagos, Antonis Samarakis, Konstantinos Tsatsos, Leonidas Kouris, Mihalis Yannakakis.