Crossword clues for swf
SWF is an abbreviation for small web format, an Adobe Flash file format used for multimedia, vector graphics and ActionScript. Originating with FutureWave Software, then transferred to Macromedia, and then coming under the control of Adobe, SWF files can contain animations or applets of varying degrees of interactivity and function. They may also occur in programs, commonly browser games, using ActionScript.
Programmers can generate SWF files from within several Adobe products, including Flash, Flash Builder (an IDE), Adobe Animate (the replacement for Adobe Flash as of Feb. 2016), and After Effects, as well as through MXMLC, a command-line application compiler which forms part of the freely-available Flex SDK. Although Adobe Illustrator can generate SWF format files through its "export" function, it cannot open or edit them. Other than using Adobe products, one can build SWFs with open-source Motion-Twin ActionScript 2 Compiler (MTASC), the open-source Ming library and the free-software suite SWFTools. Various other third-party programs can also produce files in this format, such as Multimedia Fusion 2, Captivate and SWiSH Max.
The term "SWF" originated as an abbreviation for ShockWave Flash. This usage was changed to the backronymSmall Web Format to eliminate confusion with a different technology, Shockwave, from which SWF derived.
SWF is an Adobe Flash file format used for multimedia, vector graphics and ActionScript. It stands for Shockwave Flash Movie. SWF may also refer to:
- Amazon Simple Workflow (SWF), an AWS product designed to “build, run, and scale background jobs that have parallel or sequential steps”.
SWF Seeks Same a 1990 novel by John Lutz
- Single White Female, a 1992 film based on the book
- Social welfare function, an economics term
- South Woodham Ferrers, a town in Essex, UK
- Sovereign wealth fund, an investment arm of a government
- Spring Web Flow, a project focusing on rich web applications
- Standard Written Form of the Cornish language
- Stewart International Airport (IATA code), Hudson Valley, New York
- Südwestfunk, a former southern German public radio station
- Sydney Writers' Festival