Menteith or Monteith , a district of south Perthshire, Scotland, roughly comprises the territory between the Teith and the Forth. The region is named for the river Teith, but the exact sense is unclear, early forms including Meneted, Maneteth and Meneteth. The area between Callander and Dunblane was historically known as the Vale of Menteith.
In medieval Scotland, Menteith formed an earldom, ruled by the Earls of Menteith. Gilchrist is the first known earl. The lands and the earldom passed to Walter Comyn (d. 1258) in right of his wife Isabella, and then through Isabella's sister Mary to Stewarts, and finally to the Grahams, becoming extinct in 1694.
The Lake of Menteith, situated 24 miles south of Loch Venachar, measures 14 miles long by 1 mile broad, and contains three islands. On Inchmahome (Innis MoCholmaig, island of St Colmaig) stand the ruins of Inchmahome Priory, an Augustinian priory founded in 1238 by Walter Comyn, and built in the Early English style, with an ornate western doorway. Mary, Queen of Scots, when a child of four, lived on the island for a few weeks before her departure to Dumbarton Castle, and on to France in 1548. On Inch Talla stands the ruined tower of the earls of Menteith, dating from 1428.
The village of Port of Menteith stands on the north shore of the lake.
In Shakespeare's Macbeth, Menteth (sic) is one of the "noblemen of Scotland", appearing in Act V, allied with Malcolm and others to oppose Macbeth's usurpation.