MaheshaBSD is a BSD Unix-based operating system created and maintained by Juraj Sipos from Slovakia. MaheshaBSD Server is free for personal use, the server version is commercial.
First version of MaheshaBSD was publicly available in 2010. MaheshaBSD-1.0 is FreeBSD LiveCD distribution based on FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE. MaheshaBSD-2.0 is a Live CD modular toolkit based on FreeBSD 9.0 (i386) - it can be easily put on a USB memory stick; users can surf the Internet anonymously (Tor), watch videos, use Clamav Antivirus, TestDisk, PhotoRec, watch videos (also DivX), play MP3 or ogg files. MaheshaBSD also speaks (espeak). Its X environment is based on IceWM. Some of the features of MaheshaBSD Server include: Portability – with a straightforward FTP/WWW/WordPress server (with PHP) running off a USB flash drive it is easy to operate a server anywhere in the world.
The goals of the project are
- - advanced private and configurable HTTP/FTP/WordPress server on USB-memory stick or LiveDVD
- - anonymous internet surfing and file-transferring
- - recovery toolkit from the BSD world; you can use, for example, Unix tools to unpassword Windows, or connect remotely with your friends and exchange files
- - BSD education - see the link to article in external links about building your own Live USB with FreeBSD
- - MaheshaBSD is a similar project like GhostBSD but its goals are different.