Ler (meaning "Sea" in Old Irish; Lir is the genitive form) is a sea god in Irish mythology. His name suggests that he is a personification of the sea, rather than a distinct deity. He is named Allód in early genealogies, and corresponds to the Llŷr of Welsh mythology. Ler is chiefly an ancestor figure, and is the father of the god Manannán mac Lir, who appears frequently in medieval Irish literature. Ler appears as the titular king in the tale The Children of Lir.
LER or Ler may refer to:
- Ler, Norway, a village in the municipality of Melhus, Norway
- "Ler" books, a trilogy by M. A. Foster
- Label Edge Router, a term used to define an edge-most router in an IP/MPLS network
- Larry LaLonde, nicknamed "Ler", guitarist of the rock band Primus
- Light-emitting resistor, the working principle of an incandescent light bulb
- Leytonstone High Road railway station, London, England
- Liquid epoxy resin, a precursor to coatings and flooring material
- Loss Exchange Ratio, a military calculation of comparative casualties of war
- London Electric Railway, later part of the London Underground
- The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, an infantry unit of the Army Reserve Canadian Forces
- Luminous efficacy of radiation, for light sources, the ratio of luminous flux to power
- Lunar Electric Rover, a vehicle designed by NASA for extra-vehicular activity on the lunar surface.
- Elite One Championship (French: Ligue Élite de Rugby), a French rugby league
- Ler (mythology), a sea god in Irish mythology also known as Lir
- LER, Local Equipment Room
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Ler \Ler\ n. (Irish mythology) the sea personified; father of Manannan; corresponds to the Welsh Llyr.
Llyr \Llyr\ prop. n. (Welsh mythology) the sea personified, father of Manawydan; corresponds to the Irish Ler.
Usage examples of "ler".
He bent over and tickled a nipple with his ler warmth within the cool water.
She started toward Orlith to give her a parting hug, but Leri cautioned her.
First dragonriders," Leri ticked off each name on a finger, "then Healers, then Lord Holders and other Craftsmasters, except for Tirone, which, I think no matter how Tolocamp objects, is sensible.
First dragonriders,” Leri ticked off each name on a finger, “then Healers, then Lord Holders and other Craftsmasters, except for Tirone, which, I think no matter how Tolocamp objects, is sensible.
And to his trained sense her relationship to the anonymous but ler was detectably odd.
No blame could be attached to Leri for adopting that custom and allowing Moreta to ride Holth in the several emergencies that had arisen.
Leri flapped one hand in a careless motion, "jumped four or five months ahead?
Once Leri got over her shocks, she'd begin to see the humor of the whole adventure, that the sheer reckless momentum had worked to their advantage.
Leri rolled up the rider lists and stowed them carefully on the shelf beside her.
Leri ticked off each name on a finger, "then Healers, then Lord Holders and other Craftsmasters, except for Tirone, which, I think no matter how Tolocamp objects, is sensible.