Crossword clues for leos
- 13 popes, so far
- Czech composer JanГЎcek
- Many August babies
- A majority of August births
- Independent, noble types, it's said
- Ones sharing Durocher's astrological sign
- Some July arrivals
- Bill Clinton and Arnold Schwarzenegger, to the stars?
- Affectionate, fiery types, supposedly
- Some summer births
- Ones born before Virgos
- 13 religious heads
- Some August newborns
- Action-oriented sorts, supposedly
- They may be conceived around Halloween
Leos may also occur as a plural form of Leo. For the football team, see BC Lions.
In Greek mythology, the name Leos may refer to:
- Leos, one of the ten or twelve Eponyms of the Attic phylae whose statues were at the Athenian agora near the Tholos. He was a son of Orpheus and father of a son Cylanthus and of three daughters, Praxithea (or Phasithea, Phrasithea), Theope and Eubule. In obedience to the Delphian oracle he had his three daughters sacrificed in order to relieve the city of famine. A location in Attica and a hero-shrine was said to have received the name Leokorion after these daughters of Leos (Λεὡ κόραι, Leō korai). In reality though, the story of the daughters of Leos could have been invented to explain the placename.
- Leos, a native of Agnus, Attica, the herald of the sons of Pallas. He betrayed them by informing Theseus of their imminent attack, which let him strike at the opponents at unawares and win. From that circumstance there was no intermarriage between the demes Agnus and Pallene, and the Pallenian heralds never used the formula "ἀκούετε λεῷ" ("Listen, people") because of the homophony of the word leōs "people" and Leos' name. The people of Agnus, on the contrary, sacrificed to Leos.