Crossword clues for jake
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
colloquial or familiar abbreviation of the masc. proper name Jacob (q.v.). As the typical name of a rustic lout, from 1854. (Jakey still is the typical name for "an Amishman" among the non-Amish of Pennsylvania Dutch country). Slang meaning "excellent, fine" is from 1914, American English, of unknown origin.
a. (context slang English) adequate; satisfactory; acceptable. n. (context US English) A juvenile male turkey.
Jake may refer to:
- Jake (given name), including a list of persons and fictional characters with the name
- Katrin Jäke (born c. 1975), German retired swimmer
- Aichi E13A, a Japanese World War II reconnaissance floatplane, Allied reporting name "Jake"
- "The Jake," nickname of the Major League Baseball stadium once known as Jacobs Field, now Progressive Field
- Jake, a young male wild turkey
- Jake, a slang term in the United States for Jamaica ginger extract
- Jake, a slang term used in Discordianism to describe a prank, often celebrated on Jake Day
- Jake / Bot2, one of the remotely operated vehicles used during the filming of the documentary Ghosts of the Abyss
- Jake the Alligator Man, an oddity on view in Long Beach, Washington
- Jake (rescue dog), a search and rescue dog
Jake (1995 – July 25, 2007) was a well-known American black labrador who served as a search and rescue dog following the September 11 attacks and Hurricane Katrina. Jake served as a rescue dog from 1997 until his retirement because of cancer in 2006.
Jake is a masculine given name derived from Jacob. It can also be a nickname of Jacob and various other given names.
Individuals named Jake include:
- Jake Arnott (born 1961), British novelist
- Jake T. Austin (born 1994), American actor
- Jake Brendel (born 1992), American football player
- Jake Burns (born 1958), Northern Irish rock musician
- Jake W. Cameron (1913-1999), American politician
- Jake Canuso (born 1970 (Carmine Canuso) ), Italian actor born in Switzerland
- Jake Cohen (born 1990), American/Israeli professional basketball player for Maccabi Tel Aviv
- Jake Colhouer (1922-1998), American football player
- Jake Friend (born 1990), Australian rugby league player
- Jake Granville (born 1989), Australian rugby league player
- Jake Gyllenhaal (born 1980), American actor
- Jake Hager (born 1982), American professional wrestler better known as Jack Swagger
- Jake Humphrey (born 1978), sports television presenter
- Jake Hyde (born 1990), English professional footballer
- Jake LaMotta (born 1921), world middleweight champion boxer
- Jake Lloyd (born 1989), American actor
- Jake Locker (born 1988), American football player
- Jake Logue (born 1972), American football player
- Jake Long (born 1985), American football player
- Jake Mamo (born 1994), Australian rugby league player
- Jake Metz (born 1991), American football player
- Jake Plummer (born 1974), American retired football player
- Jake Roberts (born 1955), American professional wrestler (aka "Jake the Snake")
- Jake Robinson (born 1986), English footballer
- Jake Short (born 1997), American actor
- Jake Steinfeld (born 1958), American actor and fitness personality
- Jake Thackray (1938-2002), English singer-songwriter, poet and journalist
- Jake Thomas (born 1990), American actor and singer
- Jake Trbojevic (born 1994), Australian rugby league player
- Jake Weber (born 1964), English actor
- Jake Webster (born 1983), New Zealand rugby league player
- Jake White (born 1963), South African rugby coach
- Jake Young (1968-2002), American football player
Fictional characters named Jake include:
- Jake Berenson, from the Animorphs book series by K. A. Applegate
- Jake Blues, lead vocalist of The Blues Brothers band and one of the main characters in The Blues Brothers film
- Jake Chambers, a boy and one of the main characters in Stephen King's The Dark Tower series
- Jake Featherston, Hitler-like dictator in Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series
- Jake Kimble, the only survivor of The Grudge 2 and the first victim in its sequel
- Jake Martin (All My Children), in the soap opera All My Children
- Jake Martin (Degrassi character), in the Canadian television drama series Degrassi
- Jake Green, the protagonist of the television series Jericho
- Jake Spidermonkey, a main character in My Gym Partner's a Monkey
- Jake Tucker, a character in the animated series Family Guy
- Jake the Dog, one of the main characters in the animated series Adventure Time
- " Jake the Peg", a three-legged man and subject of a comedic song performed by Rolf Harris
- Jake Fratelli, one of the main antagonists in the film The Goonies.
- " Jake from State Farm", who wears khakis.
Usage examples of "jake".
Twenty minutes later, Jake sat waist-deep in a steaming galvanized iron bath, set out alfresco under the mahogany trees.
By the time they had reached Rotterdam, she was almost sure that she could have driven through that city and she was quite prepared to do so, but Jake asured her that his leg was perfectly all right and they changed places again.
Jake decided that the audition had been as close to perfect as any show Nelle had ever done.
Britannia and Jake were getting into their car when Beyke swam into the hall, a filmy wrap over her dress.
GHQ was out on the street, but Doc found Jake inside the big schoolroom where he enjoyed his early morning bracky and coffee.
Jake after he and Annabel had agreed to table the conceitedness issue.
Jake was trucking down the street with his bottle of La Copita in its paper bag in hand.
Very deliberately, Jake walked to the nearest storm drain, and with precise aim dropped his half-full La Copita bottle down it.
Jake Weiss, chief of the epidemiology department, stood in the doorway.
While Jake reiterated the purpose of his visit, a waiter set down a ramekin of warm apple-and-brioche bread pudding topped with creme fraiche, then poured steaming black coffee into an expensive-looking china cup.
Jake DeS hazer standing alone on the flight deck that night, reflected on their future.
Jake DeS hazer who had yet to board, helped the seamen grab for the nose, and they managed to force it down by hand.
He and Jake DeS hazer the bombardier, tried to stuff a coat into the opening, but it blew back in immediately.
In the nose, with the wind screaming through the foot wide gap, Jake DeS hazer the bombardier, was amazed to see that people were living so high in the mountains.
Jake DeS hazer recalled that he was asked specifically about the aircraft carrier Hornet and about Doolittle.