As an abbreviation, IL may refer to:
- Israel, as ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code
- Lankair, an airline, as IATA designator
- Internet Link protocol, developed originally as part of Plan 9 from Bell Labs
- Illinois, as United States postal abbreviation
- Ilmenau, a town in Thuringia, in German former vehicle registration plates (newer plates show IK for Ilm-Kreis)
- International League, Class Triple-A league in North American Minor League Baseball
- Instruction list, an EC 61131-3 programming language
- Common Intermediate Language, the compiled form of .NET code
- Common Language Infrastructure, originally named Microsoft Intermediate Language
- Insert Line (ANSI), an ANSI X3.64 escape sequence
the following singular IL abbreviations may have as plural ILs:
- Interleukin, a family of cytokines, in biochemistry
- Intermediate language, usually the Common Intermediate Language (CIL), in computer science
- Introgression line, in plant genetics
- Ionic liquid, in chemistry including pharmaceutics, food science
- infralimbic prefrontal cortex nucleus
- aircraft made or designed by Ilyushin, a Russian design bureau and aircraft manufacturer
Il may refer to:
- Il (Shugo Chara!), a character from the manga series Shugo Chara! by Peach-Pit
- Il, Iran, a village in Mazandaran Province, Iran
- Il (Korean name), including a list of people with the name
il may also be:
- the third-person singular masculine personal pronoun he, or the expletive pronoun it (as in 'it rains', il pleut), in French language
- one of the masculine definite articles in Italian language
- the term for 'province' in Turkey, see Provinces of Turkey
- .il, the Internet Top Level Domain (TLD) code for Israel
IL (network protocol)
The Internet Link protocol or IL is a connection-based transport layer protocol designed at Bell Labs originally as part of the Plan 9 operating system and is used to carry 9P. It is assigned the Internet Protocol number of 40. It is similar to TCP but much simpler.
Its main features are:
- Reliable datagram service
- In-sequence delivery
- Internetworking using IP
- Low complexity, high performance
- Adaptive timeouts
As of the Fourth Edition of Plan 9, 2003, IL is deprecated in favor of TCP/IP because it doesn't handle long-distance connections well.
Il (Korean name)
Il is a Korean given name and name element. Its meaning differs based on the hanja used to write it.
adj. being nine more than forty [syn: forty-nine, 49]
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
Usage examples of "il".
She wondered what was going to happen to her, as the creature reached for her with a not-entirely-convincing il- lusion of a human arm.
If derivational endings can be added to the noun hecil with no further complications, then it is perhaps also permissible to attach case endings to these nouns in -il with no strange things happening to the noun-stem itself.
And it is said indeed that, even as the Valar made war upon Melkor for the sake of the Quendi, so now for that time they forbore for the sake of the HIldor, the Aftercomers, the younger ChIldren of Il?
He lives with his wife in East Chicago, IL, and is working on further books in the Ring of Fire series.
His heart misgave him when he looked upon the soundless shores and saw TaniquetIl shining, whiter than snow, colder than death, sIlent, immutable, terrible as the shadow of the light of Il?