Crossword clues for dane
- Alborg native
- The Great ___ (Victor Borge's nickname)
- Any King Christian I-X
- Shakespeare's Gertrude, e.g.
- Philosopher Kierkegaard, e.g.
- Writer Isak Dinesen, e.g.
- Kierkegaard, for one
- Zealand resident
- Polonius, for one
- Frederiksberg resident
- King Gorm the Old, e.g.
- Greenlander, by citizenship
- King Christian or Queen Margrethe
- Hamlet or Ophelia
- One for whom "hello" is "hej"
- A native or inhabitant of Denmark
The Collaborative International Dictionary
Dane \Dane\, n. [LL. Dani: cf. AS. Dene.] A native, or a naturalized inhabitant, of Denmark.
Great Dane. (Zo["o]l.) See Danish dog, under Danish.
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
"native of Denmark," from Danish Daner (replacing Old English Dene (plural)); used in Old English of Northmen generally. Perhaps ultimately from a source related to Old High German tanar "sand bank," in reference to their homeland; or from Proto-Germanic *den- "low ground," for the same reason.\n
\nApplied 1774 to a breed of large dogs. Danegeld not known by that name in Old English, or until 1086, long after the end of the Viking depredations. Supposedly originally a tax to pay for protection from the Northmen (either to outfit defensive armies or to buy peace). Danelaw (c.1050) was the Danish law in force over that large part of England under Viking rule after c.878; the application to the land itself is modern (1837).
Housing Units (2000): 288
Land area (2000): 1.132347 sq. miles (2.932765 sq. km)
Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km)
Total area (2000): 1.132347 sq. miles (2.932765 sq. km)
FIPS code: 18700
Located within: Wisconsin (WI), FIPS 55
Location: 43.250363 N, 89.500527 W
ZIP Codes (1990): 53529
Note: some ZIP codes may be omitted esp. for suburbs.
Housing Units (2000): 180398
Land area (2000): 1201.894833 sq. miles (3112.893194 sq. km)
Water area (2000): 36.421838 sq. miles (94.332123 sq. km)
Total area (2000): 1238.316671 sq. miles (3207.225317 sq. km)
Located within: Wisconsin (WI), FIPS 55
Location: 43.071496 N, 89.393668 W
Dane County, WI
Dane or Danes may refer to:
Dane is a fictional character from DC Comics/ Wildstorm. Created by Whilce Portacio.
Dane is both a surname and a given name. Notable people with the name include:
- Alexandra Dane (born 1946), South African actress
- Barbara Dane (born 1927), American singer
- Claire Danes (born 1979), American film, television, and theater actress
- Dana Dane, American hip-hop artist
- Eric Dane (born 1972), American actor
- Francis Dane (1615-1697), minister in colonial Massachusetts during the Salem Witch Trials
- Jordan Dane (born 1953), American novelist
- Joseph Dane (1778-1858), American congressman from Maine
- Karl Dane (1886-1934), Danish-American silent film actor
- Lloyd Dane (1925-2015), American race car driver
- Maxwell Dane (1906-2004), American advertising executive
- Nathan Dane (1752–1835), American lawyer and statesman representing Massachusetts in the Continental Congress from 1785 to 1787
- Patricia Dane (1919-1995), American film actress
- Warrel Dane (born 1969), American singer
- Dane Bowers (born 1979), British singer and member of 5th Story, formerly of Another Level
- Dane Chisholm (born 1990), Australian Rugby League player
- Dane Cook (born 1972), American stand-up comic and actor
- Dane Dastillung (1897–1982), American football player
- Dane De La Rosa, American professional baseball player
- Dane DeHaan (born 1986), American actor
- Dane (Wildstorm), a fictional character from WildStorm Productions, now owned by DC Comics
- The Dane, a term for Prince Hamlet of Denmark, a character in Shakespeare's tragedy Hamlet
- Saint Dane, a character in the Pendragon series
- Dane O'Neill, a character in Colleen McCulloch's book The Thorn Birds
- Dane Anderson, a character in the Walking Dead series
Usage examples of "dane".
Dane saw the gray of Shver skin, black-clothed, and the tension accelerated into danger.
Moments later the subdued whistle of the engines faded and Dane could hear the structure of the ship creak around them as acceleration ceased.
They even acquired a Great Dane, a four-month-old puppy, big and affectionate, which they named Thora.
He wheeled, dodged between two Danes, end vanished down a game trail with alacritous churning of short legs.
Aye, ships, for now they possessed two, though their number totaled but fourteen: Cormac, and Bas the Druid, and Samaire and Wulfhere Skullsplitter of the Danes, and their Briton captive Osbrit, and nine men of Eirrin.
To Vitus Bering, the Dane, Peter gave the commission for the exploration of the waters between Asia and America.
When they built a fort of their own outside, he set himself to tantalize the two Danes, Bering and Spanberg, knouting their men, sending coureurs with false accusations against Bering to St.
And, what though murdered and betrayed, bewept by all frail tender hearts for, Dane or Dubliner, sorrow for the dead is the only husband from whom they refuse to be divorced.
It restored Alsace-Lorraine to France, a parcel of territory to Belgium, a similar parcel in Schleswig to Denmark - after a plebiscite - which Bismarck had taken from the Danes in the previous century after defeating them in war.
Joda would pay the slightest attention to whatever they didall Dane had to do was stop minding.
Festival in the streets of a City that covered half a planet, a city that was not, except by Dane, called Dullsville, on a world that was not called Tame.
Ere dawn, the Danes and Armoricans found a tiny islet barely large enow to boast a cove in which three galleys could lie hidden.
Dane smiled to see that Geod still lived as did Tark, Feon, and Siercesson.
As Dane passed Firn the two men puffed their chests out like lighting roosters.
Danes were, he hated them and decided to throw his strength and manpower on the other side, the Catholic side, the forces of the Virgin.