thumb|upright=2.8|Błonia Park as seen from the Kościuszko Mound The history of the park began in 1162, when a wealthy nobleman Jaksa z Miechowa – founder of the Polish branch of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre – donated the land between Zwierzyniec and Łobzów to Norbertine Nuns. His intention was to receive a blessing prior to his pilgrimage to the Holy Land. For the next two centuries the meadow belonged to nuns, who in 1366 exchanged it with the city's authorities for a manor at Florianska Street. The meadow was used by peasants from neighboring villages to graze their cattle.
Until the 19th century Błonia Park was largely neglected, and often flooded by the Rudawa river in the spring turning it into wetland with small islands, probably contributing to the spread of epidemics. After draining the swamps, Błonia became perfectly suitable to host large gatherings. In 1809, when the city was incorporated into the Duchy of Warsaw, Błonia was a place of salute of the troops of Napoleon, organized by Prince Jozef Poniatowski and General Jan Henryk Dąbrowski.
Today Błonia is a recreation area, frequently hosting large events like concerts and exhibitions. The place is best known for great Masses celebrated by the Pope John Paul II in 1979, 1983, 1987, 1997 and 2002. The Pope Benedict XVI also celebrated the Mass there during his journey to Poland in May 2006. The Catholic Church will host several events including mass at Błonia Park during the 2016 World Youth Day in July. Furthermore, Błonia Park hosted pop star Celine Dion's Taking Chances World Tour concert on June 28, 2008. The vast meadow was also used for politicized promotion of the Małopolska region farming industry by PSL in 2011 with a herd of 150 sheep trucked in from hundreds of kilometers away for one month, and the city permit worth 3,200 złoty. The last cattle was grazed at Błonia in the 1970s.