Abbe is a lunar impact crater that is located in the southern hemisphere on the far side of the Moon. It is located just to the south of the crater Hess, and lies to the east of the large walled basin Poincaré. It is named after the German physicist Ernst Abbe.
The outer wall of Abbe is somewhat eroded, with small craters lying across the northwest and southwest rim crests. The interior floor is relatively smooth, with a few tiny craterlets marking the surface.
Abbe may refer to:
Abbe is both a surname and a given name. Notable people with the name include:
- Cleveland Abbe (1818–1916), American meteorologist
- Cleveland Abbe, Jr. (1872–1934), American geographer
- Ernst Abbe (1840–1905), German physicist
- James Abbe (1883–1975), American photographer
- Kathryn Abbe (1919–2014), American photographer
- Kenshiro Abbe (1915–1985), Japanese martial artist
- Moe L'Abbé (born 1947), Canadian hockey player
- Robert Abbe (1851–1928), American surgeon and radiologist
- Truman Abbe (1873–1955), American surgeon
- William Abbe (1800–1854), Iowa state senator
- Abbe Ibrahim (born 1986), Togolese soccer player
- Abbe Lane (born 1932), American singer and actress
- Fulbert Youlou (1917-1972), first President of Congo-Brazzaville, known as Abbé.
Douglas Harper's Etymology Dictionary
1520s, title given in France to "every one who wears an ecclesiastical dress," especially one having no assigned ecclesiastical duty, from French abbé, from Late Latin abbatem, accusative of abbas (see abbot).
n. (alternative spelling of abbé English)
n : a French abbot